Lemi National Cement PLC currently is a member of the joint venture formed between East African Holding and West International Holding (WIH), a multi-billion stock market listed Chinese industrial enterprise, in the following developments;
• Lemi National Cement and Industrial Park
• Melka Jebdu Cement Factory
• Red Fox International (Koka)
When the cement projects are completed within 2024, East African Holding will alone be able to cover more than 50% of the current cement demand of Ethiopia. The joint venture partners National Cement Share Company and West China Cement / West International Holding Co. Ltd/ have entered an agreement for USD 2.2 billion investment to be carried out at different phases. The first phase of the project valued at $600 million entails six projects to be built in in 270 hectares of land in Lemi Industrial Park located 130 km from Addis Ababa in northern part of Amhara region.
The projects include:
• 10,000 TPD Clinker or 4.5 million tons of Cement (PPC) per year
• 30 million m 2 Gypsum board and 400,000 tons of Gypsum powder plants p.a.
• Concrete pole, prefabricated housing & Colbert pipe plant (to be commissioned on Jan 15, 2023)
• Batching plant (already commissioned)
• Aggregate production plant (already commissioned)
• Dire Dawa two lines each with capacity of 700,000 TPA Steel products (in progress)
• Increasing the Dire Dawa plant by 30% (completed)
Upon completion the projects will have a significant impact in:
• Curbing the gap in supply & demand of cement with additional quantity of 10,000 tons per day clinker production, or 4.5 million tons p.a. of cement (PPC).
• Self-sustenance for foreign currency requirement through export: DD-National 70% for export for parts & consumables.